For the people of Aldona, to cross this distance and reach the neighboring villages of Conjure and Bicholim, took a minimum of 45 mins either way by ferry and road as they slowly crossed the river in between. This was till the bridge connecting the two villages was built in 2004.
GSIDC was directed by the State Government to take up the construction of the bridge connecting Aldona and Corjuem Villages. Apart from the obvious benefit of connecting the two villages, the bridge would also add to the scenic beauty of the locale, help boost tourism and provide employment to the residents in the area.
The construction of the Cable-stayed bridge (only the 6th in our country) with two-lanes was would also help connect Bicholim (and in turn smaller villages like Corjuem), once the Corjuem – Poira bridge is also completed, to city centers like Mapusa and Panaji by diverting traffic from the state highway NH 17 leading to a shorter and more scenic route.
- Bridge has single pylon of height 45 meters height on Aldona side
- The illumination scheme comprises lighting of underside of deck.
- The pylon is illuminated with flood lights on all faces.
- The stay cable system can be replaced entirely or individually.
- Anchorages are compact, light and prefabricated
- The system is adapted to friction vibrator dampers.
- VSL cable stay system SSI 2000 is used.
- Automatic batching plants have been used to ensure the best quality control of concrete.
- Hydraulic Rotatory drill was used for pile foundations which ensures speedy and quality construction
- Specialised instrumentation techniques are being used to check load carrying capacity of the bridge, monitoring strains and stresses, vibrations due to wind effect, deflections etc.
- Stressing operations have been fully computerized thereby minimizing any human errors.
PURPOSE OF GOING IN FOR CABLE STAYED BRIDGE
- Construction of longer spans using pre-stressed concrete box girder type bridges becomes uneconomical.
- The illumination of the bridge will serve as a major tourist attraction which is our state’s main money spinner.
- The superstructure is a simple structure of light weight with steel space truss and RCC deck slab at top
- The shrinkage and creep effects are minimum.
VideoClick here to view video
M/s. Afcons Infrastructure Ltd.
M/s. TPF Engineering Pvt. Ltd